Saturday, February 9, 2013

Sketching Kitchen Leaves

Kitchen Leaves 1

Pencil, Sharpie Pen, Koi Watercolors


Kitchen Leaves 2

Pencil, Sharpie Pen, Koi Watercolors


In Jane LaFazio's Sketching & Watercolor: Journal Style class.  In lesson 2
we were to draw leaves, not from photos but from life.  Plenty of leaves at the
Denver Botanic Gardens but I doing this class from home.  I live in a rental
 without a yard, plus winter in Denver means only the pines are green.  Too
 late in the year to find many stray leaves in the lawn.  Have no house plants
 because my cats knock them over, dig in the pots and munch the leaves.
Solution?  Kitchen leaves.
  
Found some tomatoes in the crisper with tiny leaves and shapely stems.
Some rather limp green onions.  Then had the brainstorm of Bay Leaves!
They have such a nice khaki color.
 Loving the daily sketch and feel like I've found a daily practice that makes
 me feel skillful and  like I'm developing my drawing skills and also my power
 of observation.  

 This brings together so many of my interests and passions: 

  1. The Plein Air art of the Impressionist and Post-Impressionists
  2. Landscapes/drawing from nature
  3. The scared quality of Nature and the value of of closely observing Nature
  4. The Denver Botanic Gardens and Botanical Illustration
  5. Visual Journals
 All this also informs the classes I teach through Colorado Free University.
 I have my Impressions of the Gardens class which I have had the opportunity
 to teach for a couple of years and one I am going to start soon: Botanical Art Journal.
 Like Plein Air art with simple supplies and a sketchbook.  I've also just become
 aware of the  Urban Sketching movement. Feel blessed!  Now, if I could only
 figure out how any of these endeavors could pay the rent.



No comments:

Post a Comment