Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Painting of Alice's Shrine for Her Sister

Drawing with watercolor and mixed media

When Alice's sister died Alice made a lovey shrine for her with leaves, rocks, a special cloth and marigolds.
I had the opportunity to see a photograph of the shrine and just loved the image she had captured.  I got
permission to paint it and really like the outcome.  I did a fairly elaborate pencil drawing, inked it, then used
watercolor to color it.  I did end up using acrylic paint on the marigolds since I was not happy with how the
watercolor painting of them turned out.  I am especially happy with the way the cloth turned out.  I used
Cerulean Blue to begin with, then Ultramarine.  I finally lifted areas by painting them with clear water and
blotting the wet area with paper towel. I like the way the drawing was more revealed in these areas.

This drawing was in my art journal.  I've since matted it and given it to Alice for letting me share in her
honoring of her sister.



No comments:

Post a Comment